Friday, May 13, 2011

Gardening & A Recipe



I never thought of myself getting into gardening like I have, but something happened along the way (probably the horses), that has made it incredibly difficult not to love playing in the dirt.  Gardening takes time and commitment.  It can be life-changing and, ... Mother Nature may be one of the most unpredictable forces there is. If you don't grow your own, please support your regional food system and get to know who grows your food.  Make friends with your local farmer.  Its "food with a face, a name, and a place".  

Now ... I would like to share with you this lovely little recipe.  Because of all I said above, I hope all of you will run to your local farmer and pick some of their lovely strawberries. You will love this. Very seldom do we find a strawberry bread recipe.  Enjoy!


    Strawberry-Nut Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups strawberries, sliced (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, oil, strawberries, and pecans.  Stir just until all ingredients are moistened.  Spoon batter into 2 well-greased loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes until cake tests done. Cool in pans 5 minutes.  Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Freezes well.

5 comments:

  1. I'm on the way to get into gardening..I ordered 6 books on AMazon yesterday :-) I read all night..I'm really on the way :-) The strawberry cake looks delicious...Happy weekend

    http://design-elements-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread looks delicious, I may have to transform it into a gluten-free loaf... Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, does this sound good. I will take this down for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have almost this same exact recipe and it is so delicious. I made it for the first time last year. I just made the recipe again, but substituted kiwi for the strawberries and added craisins instead of pecans. Haven't tried it yet, it's in the freezer. We had a loaf of banana bread we're working on first.

    Have a wonderful holiday weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete